The Bold Coast of Maine offers lots of lighthouses to explore. The most famous one is West Quoddy Head in Lubec, which bears the title of most photographed lighthouse in the U.S.
If you’re feeling up to the challenge, the coastline of Maine features more than 50 lighthouses… these are just a few of the most-frequently visited to check off your list:
Brown’s Head 1832/1857 – 24-foot white brick cylindrical tower. Fox Islands Thorofare, Vinalhaven (ferry from Rockland).
Goose Rocks 1890 – 51-foot white cast-iron conical tower. Fox Island Thorofare, between North Haven and Vinalhaven (via ferry from Rockland).
Saddleback Ledge 1839 – 42-foot gray granite conical tower. Between Isle au Haut and Vinalhaven (via ferry from Rockland).
Matinicus Rock 1827/1857 – Two 48-foot gray granite cylindrical towers, 5 miles southeast of Matinicus Island.
Fort Point 1836/1857 – 26-foot white square tower. Penobscot River mouth, east end of Cape Jellison, view end of Fort Point Road, off Route 1, in Stockton Springs.
Dyce Head 1829 – 45-foot white conical granite and fieldstone tower, privately owned, Castine Harbor entrance, view end of Lighthouse Road, Castine.
Isle au Haut 1907 – 48-foot white cylindrical brick tower with footbridge to shore. Robinson Point, Isle au Haut (via ferry from Rockland).
Mark Island 1857 – 26-foot white square tower, west entrance to Deer Island Thorofare, Stonington.
Eagle Island 1839/1858 – 28-foot conical tower, East Penobscot Bay, Deer Isle.
Pumpkin Island 1854 – 25-foot white conical stone tower, privately owned.West end of Eggemoggin Reach, view end of Eggemoggin Road, off Route 15, Little Deer Isle.
Blue Hill Bay 1856 – 22-foot white cylindrical tower, Green Island, Brooklin, inactive; west side of Blue Hill Bay.
Burnt Coat Harbor 1872 – 33-foot white square tower. Hockamock Head, Swan’s Island, view from ferry from Bass Harbor.
Bass Harbor Head 1858 – 26-foot white cylindrical tower. Southern end of Mount Desert Island, view end of Lighthouse Road off Route 102A, Bass Harbor.
Bear Island 1839/1889 – 25-foot white cylindrical tower. Northeast Harbor entrance, Cranberry Isles.
Baker Island 1828/1855 – 43-foot white stone cylindrical tower, center of island. Cranberry Isles, entrance to Northeast Harbor.
Great Duck Island 1890 – 42-foot white cylindrical tower. 19 miles off Cranberry Isles, east side of entrance to Blue Hill Bay, Frenchboro. One of Maine’s furthest out to sea light houses. Viewed only by boat ride on calm clear days.
Egg Rock 1875 – 40-foot white square tower atop dwelling. Frenchman’s Bay entrance, Bar Harbor, view from Park Loop Road, Bar Harbor.
Mount Desert Rock 1830 – 58-foot gray granite conical tower. 18 miles southeast of Mount Desert Island.
Winter Harbor 1856 – 19-foot white cylindrical tower, privately owned. Mark Island, west side of entrance to Winter Harbor. Best viewed by boat. View from land from Schoodic Point Loop Road.
Prospect Harbor Point 1850/1891 – Prospect Harbor entrance, view Route 186, Gouldsboro.
Narraguagus (Pond Island) 1853 – 55-foot white stone cylindrical tower, privately owned. Pond Island, Millbridge, west side entrance to Narraguagus Bay.
West Quoddy Head Light 1808/1858 – Authorized for construction by Thomas Jefferson. 49′ red-and-white horizontally banded brick conical tower. Westside entrance, St. Croix River and Cobscook Bay, view end of South Lubec Road, off Route 189, Lubec. Located in Quoddy Head State Park.