Coastal Maine is one of the premier spots for birdwatching, with the potential to see more than 150 different kinds of birds. It is common to see eagles and herons and other shorebirds from anywhere along the shoreline. Maine and New Brunswick, Canada are the home to numerous birding festivals, events and trails:
- Bird and Nature Tours can be personalized and arranged through DownEast Nature Tours.
- The Wings, Waves and Woods Festival is held in nearby Deer Island in Stonington in May.
- The Downeast Spring Birding Festival is held in Whiting in May.
- The Grand Manan Bird Sanctuary in New Brunswick
- The Acadia Birding Festival is held in May in Bar Harbor.